If you’ve been working for the military or for any law and order enforcement institution, you might be aware of the plate carriers that military and such personnel wear to protect themselves from bullets.
It works in a simple way; just insert a bulletproof plate in your plate carrier and you’re good to go in the field.
So what’s the job of a plate carrier cummerbund? What is a MOLLE cummerbund after all?
Well, the plate carrier cummerbund, which may or may not have MOLLE webbing on it, works as a cummerbund on a party dress. It makes sure that your bulletproof vest does not move freely, and that it snug-fits on your body.
In a battlefield or while facing criminals, you do not afford to go with a chest rig that moves a lot; you want it to fit just right.
Top Plate Carrier Cummerbund + Adapter
Here’s the review of 4 best pig plate carrier cummerbunds that you can find on Amazon.
|Cummerbund Name||Material||Weight||Straps Type||Breathability|
|Tactical Vest 3-Band CP Lite Waistband||CORDURA||10.4 Ounces||3-Band Strips||Best|
|Condor VAS Slim Belt like Retrofit kit||N/A||10.1 Ounces||Laser-cut Horizontal Perforations||Minimal|
|CONDOR VAS Modular Cummerbund||N/A||32 Ounces||Traditional fold-stitched Straps||Minimal|
|Condor Modular Belt S/M – Elastic||N/A||7 Ounces||Laser-cut Horizontal Perforations||Better|
Tactical Vest 3-Band CP Style Lite Cummerbund
This is not a typical style pig plate carrier cummerbund, but on with a 3-band style. Since there are 3 long strips that go from back to front, fastened with bungee rope attachments, you can definitely attach the MOLLE attachments and use it as a proper plate carrier cummerbund.
Let’s take a look at the most prominent features.
- 3-Band System for Maximum MOLLE Attachments – The MOLLE attachment straps can be used to attach a lot of things. To start with you can hang your hand grenade with it, your water bottle, your first aid kit and your extra ammunition etc.
This system is not like other MOLLE cummerbunds; it is a set of three bands or strips going from one to another end. You can attach a lot of MOLLE attachments to them and move them easily when needed.
- Multicam Pattern – Unlike plain black or plain coyote colour/pattern cummerbunds, this one is Multicam camouflage cummerbund. Clearly, Multicam camouflage is much better than the rest of them. It offers much better camouflage/concealment in diverse terrain settings, seasons, elevations, man-made structures and light settings. Also, for marines and many other security institutes, MultiCam is the most commonly used pattern of camouflage.
- 1000D CORDURA Material – CODURA is known to be the best material for outdoor, adventure and other products related to law and order enforcement and military. It is known for being 100% waterproof, maximum tensile strength (abrasion resistance), tear and scuffs-proof and breathability. So, now you know that this cummerbund is made of the best material used for adventure, outdoor, hiking, mountaineering and military gear.
1000D means that this is one of the toughest and most tear-proof materials that you will ever see.
- Adjustable Size – An elastic bungee cord connects both ends of this plate carrier cummerbund. It is military-grade bungee cord so unless you intentionally cut it, there is little to no chance of you accidentally cutting the bungee. Tie it down or up to adjust the size as per your waist’s size.
- Stability – It is bigger than any other cummerbund on this list. Why? Because it made of 3 strips that are connected and that go side by side, but that is open space between each of them – from one to another end. And this makes this the broadest cummerbund on this list. This is why it holds the plate carrier with unparalleled stability.
- Weight – It weighs at only 0.35Kg and weight is important to mention because a plate carrier is already heavy because of heavy armor plate and other MOLLE attachments; your cummerbund should not add too much to its weight.
And here is the only problem that I noticed.
- MOLLE Attachments Move Freely – While it is a blessing, for some of us, it is a problem. In all MOLLE attachment bags and cummerbunds, you see that the attachment loops or straps are stitched on both ends – so if you stick something in there, it will only have a limited space to move – not in this case.
Condor LCS VAS Slim Cummerbund 221122-002-L
It is a big black cummerbund that connects on the backside and there a strong and military-standard bungee cord connects both ends. Tie it tight and you will adjust the weight for a narrow waist and tie it loose if your waist is broad. The best thing about this one is that it does not have big horizontal spaces as compared to the previous ones. That belt is the best replacement of the retrofit kit.
Here are the best features.
- Proper MOLLE Attachment Straps – Unlike the previously reviewed product, this MOLLE cummerbund is not made of three long stripes; it is a broad piece of CORDURA-like material, with plenty of MOLLE attachments loops or straps on it. You can literally attach anything to it and even then you’d have some space left – but what’s best about this cummerbund is that the attachment straps on it are proper and they have a proper grip on whatever items are attached with them.
- Dark Black SWAT Camouflage – This cummerbund is ideal for you if you work in SWAT team or any other security institution (private or public) that uses black uniform and accessories. Also, if your uniform is black and you have night duty, consider this the best cummerbund that you can get on Amazon
- 1 Ounce Weight – If you want to as to how much that weight is in Kilos, it is 0.286 Kg. This means that is even lighter than the previous one. It is important in this field to use lightweight equipment, because armour plate, weapons and ammunition are enough to make the sack heavier for you.
- Adjustable Waist – A cummerbund is used exactly like a belt – it is no good if one cannot tighten or loosen it as per the demand. The military-grade bungee cord that comes with the package can be used to fasten both sides and either to tighten the cummerbund or to loosen it.
- Sturdy Grip – As compared to the previously reviewed cummerbund, this is not made of long stripes that offer a lousy grip (unless fastened really well); this is made with one broad piece of CORDURA-type material which holds tightly on your plate carrier and entire waist.
And here is one design mistake that I noticed.
- Die Cut MOLLE Straps – Let us admit, all of us, whether we belong to a military background or not, know a MOLLE attachment product as soon as we see them. And we mostly recognize those because of the MOLLE attachment straps on them. Those straps, in 99% cases, are stitched in a folded condition and placed at a safe distance from other straps (as you will see in the case of next coming product).
But the MOLLEE straps on this one are not really straps; there are two different types of clothes sewn side by side, they made die-cut horizontal perforations in the cloth on the front and yes MOLLE attachments can be attached to those, but not with ease.
CONDOR VAS Modular Cummerbund
This is a proper military-style, MultiCam camouflage cummerbund. What I love about it is that it is not a product made after overthinking. In order to make their products different, the manufacturers of previously reviewed products drifted far from standard. Properly made MOLLE attachment straps, Multicam camouflage pattern, proper dimensions and a military-grade bungee cord make it a perfect pig plate carrier cummerbund.
Let us take a look at the most inspiring features.
- Perfectly Done MOLLE Attachment Straps – In case of the first product, there were no straps at all, but three big stripes and one can attach anything anywhere – with no control on movement, in the case of the second one, the perforations do not have the space that you need to freely attach items and in case of this one you see proper military-style fold stitched MOLLE attachment straps. There are three rows of them.
- Multicam Camouflage – Like all the best plate carrier cummerbunds in the market, this one is also done in Multicam camouflage. As it has been mentioned above, the MultiCam camouflage is the best because it easily deceives the human eye and easily blends in all types of terrains, man-made structures, seasons and light-settings.
- Sturdy Grip – To start with, this cummerbund is 6” high; it is broader than the previously reviewed black cummerbund and because of its extended height, this cummerbund gives you a much better grip on your waist. This is important because the only purpose of a cummerbund is to ensure sturdy grip – and in case of a MOLLE attachment cummerbund, extra height and grip are simply unparalleled. You get a better grip to keep your items from dangling free and you can attach more equipment.
- Adjustability – All of these cummerbunds, including this one, have a thick Velcro pad on the front – with both hook and loop pads that connect the opening end of the cummerbund. The best thing about this that part is how easy it makes one tighten or loosen the cummerbund and fasten it where one feels better.
- A Side Velcro Patch – There is this feature that makes this plate carrier cummerbund better than others and unique as well. This cummerbund has MOLLE attachment straps only on one side, on the other side, it has big Velcro loop patch. You can attach a big MOLLE equipment e.g. litter bag, first aid bag, tactical bags, dagger sheath or gun’s holster etc.
- 2 Lbs. Weight – This makes it just a little bit more than 900 Grams and while it might be heavier than other cummerbunds on this list, it is because it is well padded. It should still be counted as a considerably lightweight cummerbund because it is still less than 1 Kg.
And here is the only problem that I could find with this product.
- Limited Number of MOLLE Straps – It is not as much a problem as something about personal preferences. People like me would prefer it as it is because we can attach a big and heavy MOLLE equipment with the Velcro patch as it makes it impossible for an equipment to dangle which it would in case of straps. However, people who like more MOLLE straps on their cummerbunds might dislike this one’s design.
Condor VAS Modular Elastic Cummerbund – S/M
Now, I know that it looks too much similar to the Condor LCS VAS black coloured cummerbund that I’ve already reviewed above, but not only its size and weight is not the same as the previous one, but it has breathable mesh inside, 4 loops on the upper edge of the cummerbund and weight lesser than the other model.
Interested? Take a look at its best features.
- Breathable Mesh Inside – Except the 3-band cummerbund, all others cummerbunds on this list are not much good when it comes to breathability. Let’s not forget that gentlemen who wear these PIG plate carriers and cummerbunds in real life, serve in field and they shed enough sweat already. In such a situation, a breathable cummerbund is the best option and mesh on the inside of this one makes it breathable.
- 4 Attachment Loops – There are 2 small attachment loops on each side of this cummerbund making a total of 4 of them. These can be used to attach/hang any 4 pieces of equipment that one might need in the field e.g. weapons, water bottle and other such items.
- Amazing Grip – This cummerbund is also 6” high, like Condor VAS Modular cummerbund. This means that it is big enough to have a strong grip on the wearer’s waist. It is very important because, without a proper grip cummerbund, the wearer can neither have a good balance not keep the attachments from dangling. This cummerbund, in other words, makes a Pig plate carrier just as snug fit as possible.
- Adjustable Waist – You can use the bungee cord-lock or the front Velcro hook and loop patch system to make sure that this cummerbund tightly hugs your waist irrespective of whether you’re skinny or bulky. The beauty of this system is to assure that the plate carrier feels like a part of your body or at least like a real snug-fit vest.
- 7 Ounces Weight – 7 ounces is literally less than 200 grams. This is the lightest MOLLE attachment cummerbund on this list. Why a lightweight cummerbund is so important? It is because the plate carrier, armour plate, guns, ammunition and other items already make it a heavy set up – in this situation a lightweight cummerbund is only high appreciated.
And here is the only issue that I could find.
- Die Cut MOLLE Straps – Just like in the case of other Condor LCS VAS Cummerbund (with black color), this one also does not have proper MOLLE attachment loops/straps. What you get are die cut perforations made in the front-facing cloth.
Yes, you can still use these MOLLE attachment horizontal die-cut perforations, but they are narrow and tight, and nowhere near as good as in the case of the Condor VAS Modular Cummerbund reviewed above.
Military Cummerbund Buyer’s Guide
I know that only 4 Pig plate carrier cummerbunds are not enough to quench your thirst, but these products are not made in galore. You can see that all those products are made by two brands.
In future, if more brands introduce their cummerbunds to Amazon customers, you should be able to vet and choose the best one.
That is if you are not fully satisfied with these 4 and want to wait for the best to appear in future or you just want to know the qualities that you should look for while buying top plate carrier cummerbunds, you must know-how.
Here you go:
- MOLLE Attachment Straps – These cummerbunds are called MOLLE cummerbunds because of the MOLLE products attachment loops or straps that you find on them. These should be abundant so you can hang/attach as many MOLLE attachments as possible and these should be double stitched and open so you would not end up ripping them and you may easily attach your equipment.
- Height – 6” or above is the ideal height for a MOLLE cummerbund. Why? It is because with this much height (and no strips, no space between the belts) you are sure that your plate carrier cummerbund would have strong grip on your carrier and on you. Which means no free movement of your equipment, carrier and cummerbund.
- Breathability – Remember, people who wear this stuff do not work in offices – at least for most of their duty time. They serve in all kind of weathers and they are exposed to all kind of elements. Sweat or moisture is not good for the wearers of these items because they cause bacteria accumulation and because users stink at the end of the day. So, breathability is a must.
- Material – While most of these Pig plate carrier cummerbunds are made of either 1000D CORDURA or 1000D Nylon, do know that these materials are not the same. CORDURA is more durable and less breathable, Nylon is not just as durable as CORDURA, but it is more breathable, so pick your cummerbund wisely. If you wonder what is Denier, it is a unit of textile measurement. Bigger the number, tougher the material! Anything more than 500D is thick enough and tough enough; 1000D means you have a textile that is rip-proof, abrasion-proof and tears n’ wear-proof.
- Weight – This is not the kind of quality that you must look for while buying a cummerbund, but yes, if a cummerbund is lighter than others, at no expense to sturdiness, you should definitely buy that one. Why? Because, as explained, a plate carrier is heavy, an armour plate makes it heavier and when you add weapons, ammunition and other equipment it is simply too heavy. So, a lightweight cummerbund is good because it does not add much noticeable weight to the whole shebang.
- Bungee Cord Lock – Again, not a real decisive factor, but for those who do not want to tie the bungee cord, but use a delicate little device that will keep your cord ends from opening, this is a little something that they should make sure before they buy a cummerbund.
- Big Velcro Patch on One Side – One of the cummerbunds that I’ve shown to you, has MOLLE attachment webbing only on one side; on the other side, it has a big Velcro loop patch. It is for those who like to stick or hook big items, for example, a first aid kit, on one side. If this defines you then you should get this king of the cummerbund.
- Camouflage – So, on this list, we have cummerbunds with plain black camouflage as well as plain green camouflage, but the best ones are those that have Multicam camouflages. You can choose the set of colours that you like, but a Multicam camouflage is the best because it blends in much better than other types of camouflage.
Before I give the verdict and tell you as to which one of these 4 cummerbunds are best as per my opinion, here is a little table to show you the unique qualities of these cummerbunds.
- CONDOR VAS Modular Cummerbund – because it fits very well, it has traditional fold-stitched MOLLE attachment straps and a Multicam camouflage.